Why Bill Gates Invested in Agricultural Land

In 2020, Bill Gates made headlines for becoming the largest private owner of agricultural land in the United States. This intriguing move led some to humorously nickname him “Farmer Bill.” But what’s the story behind this investment, and why would the co-founder of Microsoft choose to invest in farmland? In this article, we’ll delve into the details of this significant investment, focusing on the economic aspects and the rationale behind it.

The Categories of Agricultural Land

Agricultural land in the United States can be broadly categorized into two types. Prices for these lands vary based on their category and several factors. The first category comprises pastures and livestock farming, while the second category includes cultivated land. In 2020, an acre of pasture was worth $1,400, whereas an acre of cultivated land was valued at $4,000. To put it in perspective, an acre is approximately 0.4 hectares, which is roughly equivalent to ten thousand square meters.

The Significance of Agricultural Land

In the United States, agricultural land accounts for a substantial portion of the total land area. This includes farms, gardens, livestock raising, and all activities related to agriculture. Notably, 60 percent of landowners personally work on their land, while the remaining 40 percent either lease their land to third parties or to non-farming landlords. The ownership patterns shed light on the diverse landscape of American agriculture.

Bill Gates’ Agricultural Investments

Bill Gates’ acquisition of a massive 269,000 acres of farmland across 18 states raised eyebrows. However, it’s important to note that Gates doesn’t manage these investments personally. The responsibility falls on Michael Larson, who heads Cascade Investments, the company entrusted with handling Gates’ wealth. Gates’ net worth, estimated at around $115 billion, includes a 1.3 percent stake in Microsoft, valued at $28 billion.

The Economic Rationale Behind Farmland Investments

But why would Michael Larson, who manages Gates’ wealth, suggest investing in agricultural land? The answer lies in the economic perspective. Agricultural land is considered an excellent investment due to its stability and the unique characteristics of land. Unlike stocks, where large investments can impact prices, agricultural land remains relatively stable. Furthermore, the annual yield from agricultural land, though modest, is consistent.

The Sustainability Factor

Agricultural land investments offer another compelling advantage – sustainability. As the world increasingly focuses on sustainability, agricultural land investments are gaining attention due to their low carbon emissions and potential for becoming carbon-neutral. This aligns with the shift toward laws specifying permissible carbon emissions and incentives for biodiversity preservation.


Bill Gates’ investment in agricultural land is a strategic move driven by the economic stability and potential for sustainability that such investments offer. By diversifying his portfolio into farmland, Gates not only avoids causing drastic price changes but also taps into a market with a stable annual yield and the potential to contribute to a greener future. As the investment world embraces sustainability, it’s evident that farmland is no longer just fertile soil but a fertile ground for smart investments.